Clacton Marine Gardens

Clacton Marine Gardens are fine examples of late Edwardian style which, by 1997, had become in quite a few components worn, overgrown and subjected to inappropriate changes. A major restoration and enhancement project was developed by Tendring District Council in association with Tendring Tourism Group and the Landscape Partnership Ltd. This was created as an application for the Heritage Lottery Fund Urban Parks Programme in 1998. The thriving application was then implemented by way of 1999 and 2000 and opened to the public in early summer season 2000.

Clacton1897

Clacton-on-Sea1897

Sunken Rose Garden, Clacton

[AdSense-B]

During the late 1990’s as part of a Heritage Lottery Fund Bid this garden was extensively re-modelled. The raised planted bed that formed the centre of the garden was removed and replaced with a stainless steel pergola for climbing roses.

ClactonGardens

The principle proposals of Clacton Marine Gardens were to restore and boost the heritage options and to supply new facilities. They incorporated the restoration on the rockeries in Pier Gap, structural repairs towards the Venetian Bridge, new planting inside the Marine Gardens and a new play region inside the West Greensward. New lighting, interpretation material and enhanced disabled access were also proposed – at a total of price of practically £500,000.Clacton Chinesse Gardens

The restoration project was

determined by historic analysis by The Landscape Partnership. The principal sources of historic info were early photographs, picture postcards, Ordnance Survey maps and plans on the original Town Strategy produced in 1872 – you will find no extant plans in the Clacton Marine Gardens.
Even though there has been a parish of Great Clacton since no less than AD 1050, Clacton-on-Sea did not create until the latter aspect from the 19th century, as element from the fantastic upsurge in Victorian seaside development. In 1864 a railway engineer, Peter Schuyler Bruff, acquired the cliff lands and planned a resort of broad thoroughfares and well-spaced villas.

Clacton Marine GardensMonetary assistance was provided in specific by the directors of your Woolwich Steam Packet Organization, which was plying a standard trade along the East Coast from London. A pier was began in 1870 and necessitated the cutting of a brand new ramp within the cliff-Pier Gap. At this stage there were still no houses or streets within the new resort. Bruff’s master-plan included cliff-top gardens to either side of Pier Gap and because the resort developed it initially rivalled after which outshone the older Walton. The pier was extended, a railway link was established in 1882 and pleasure steamers from London brought visitors to remain within the several lodging homes and be entertained inside the ‘palace by the sea’.
Clacton Marine GardensThe Venetian Bridge was constructedmore than Pier Gap in 1914, with rockeries on either side and also the region close to Pier Gap laid out as formal gardens. In 1921 the Urban District Council spent considerable sums laying out the 4 formal gardens and delivering shelters. The Clacton Marine Gardens had been created by the County Surveyor on the time – Mr Daniel J Bowe – and swiftly became a well known and much publicised feature in the town. 
Clacton Marine Gardens

Leave a reply