Little Clacton Methodist Church

Little Clacton Methodist ChurchIn 1851 the Chapel at Tiny Clacton was constructed and opened. Prior to that solutions have been carried out within a thatched cottage on the east side in the green. The adults normally filled the huge downstairs space of the cottage as well as the children sat on the stairs top to a space made use of for the storing of apples.

The Wesleyan Methodist had been holding solutions in Tiny Clacton for some time when in 1851 the present Church was built, so that by 1894 it had already been utilised for worship for forty-three years.

[AdSense-B]

At that period the various nearby households who frequently attended here have been nonetheless regarded as “chapel folk”, but their loyalty was respected plus the little neighbourhood flourished.

One hundred years ago the little constructing was lit by significant oil lamps and it was heated by two tortoise stoves – presumably slow-burners! These had been tended by a lady caretaker for the magnificent sum of 12s 6d (62 ½ p) a quarter.

A smaller orchestra provided music with violins, flute, double bass and organ and there was usually a choir.

Such was the assistance offered to the Chapel that in 1898 it was achievable to add a schoolroom and kitchen which have been built chiefly by no cost labour, evidence with the devotion of its members.

In course of time the former Wesleyan Chapel has develop into the Methodist Church.

The Wesleyan Guild flourished to get a extended period plus the Women’s Fellowship happen to be meeting consistently for greater than forty years.

The Methodist Church is rightly proud of continuing to maintain it is living and faithful Christian witness in the Village of Tiny Clacton.

Services are held every single Sunday at 9.45am. All are most warmly welcome.

For extra facts appertaining to Small Clacton Methodist Church please make contact with:

Rev John Butt, 37, Southcliff Park, Clacton on Sea 01255 423640

Tags:  , , , ,

Leave a reply