Golf Club

Golf Club History

Clacton-on-Sea Golf Club was founded in 1892 when a small band of enthusiasts leased 40
acres of grazing land close to the town centre and roughly laid out nine holes.  After four years the land was
taken back for residential development and the club moved to the other side of town where it leased 50 acres to provide nine holes, then a further 50 acres in 1909 to give 18 holes.  Much of that land is still part of the present course, though there have been many changes in boundaries and layout since then.

[AdSense-B]

THE CLUB

The golf club is a private members’ club, administered by a Committee of Management comprising the Captain, Vice-captain, Immediate Past Captain, Treasurer and eight full members. Club Secretary Manager is Helen Woodrow. Membership categories are seven-day, junior and social. Playing Membership is currently
limited to 650 playing members and Junior Membership limited to 100.

THE PROFESSIONAL SHOP

The professional’s shop, next to the clubhouse, carries a wide range of equipment and clothing. Golf lessons are available by appointment. Golf trolleys and buggies are also available for hire. Green fees must be paid at the shop and handicap certificates produced before starting play. The shop is open seven days a week from 8.30am to 6.30pm or dusk, whichever is the earlier.

Clacton-on-Sea Golf Club, West Road, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex CO15 1AJ

Tel: 01255 421919, Fax: 01255 424602

THE COURSE

The course covers 110 acres and runs alongside the sea wall and inland to West Road. It is flat, part wooded and part open, and comprises five par 3s, nine par 4s and four par 5s. Total length from the competition tees is 6448 yards and the standard scratch score is 71. For Ladies it is 5526 yards (SSS72).
There is an excellent practice ground of 10 acres, which is accessed by carefully crossing the 18th fairway. Two practice putting greens and a chipping area together with two practice nets are located close to the clubhouse. Practicing on the course is prohibited, as is normal play from the white tees. The course is well bunkered and fleets, which cross fairways or form boundaries, are a peculiar feature providing many water
hazards. The greens, considered to be among the best in Essex, are all watered by automatic sprinklers. There is no out of bounds within the perimeter of the course. Out of bounds is indicated at places by white marker posts, water hazards by yellow posts and lateral water hazards by red posts. The word fleet is the local term for a ditch or stream.

Leave a reply