Great Clacton

White’s Directory of Essex 1848

Great Clacton a large village near to Clacton on Sea, about a mile from the sea beach, and 14 miles South East by East of Colchester, and South South West of Harwich, has in its parish 1296 inhabitants, and 3964A. of land, including Copping Green, Magdalen Green, Clacton Wick, and Clacton Cliffs, on the seashore, where there are three martello towers, erected for the defence of the coast during the last wars, and now occupied as a signal station by the coast guard, though no guns are mounted. Cann Hall, now a farm house, was so called from its belonging to the canons of St. Osyth. Aulton Park farm was left by S. Travers, Esq., for charitable uses.

The Church (St. John) is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a shingled spire, which was rebuilt in 1810. The interior is neatly fitted up, and has three galleries, two of which were erected in 1837, when a number of free sittings were provided in consideration of a grant from the Church Building Society. The rectory was appropriated to St. Osyth Priory, and the great tithes now belong to the principal land owners. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the donative curacy of Little Holland, annexed to it, and valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £240. W. F. Nassau, Esq., is the patron, and the Rev. H. G. N. Bishop, B.A., is the incumbent, and has a good residence, and 4A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841, the rectorial for £954.2s., and the vicarial for £240. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1824. In 1827, James Maskell, built and endowed a small Almshouse here, for three poor people, who have each 2s.6d. and a quartern loaf weekly. The poor parishioners have a rearly rent-charge of £4 out of a farm called Pearles and Steylands purchased with £100 left by Hy. Rainsford, in 1738. They have also the dividend of £50 three per cent. Imperial Annuities, purchased with the benefaction of an unknown donor.


 Great Clacton St John Clacton-on-Sea, St. John the Baptist at Great Clacton

Great Clacton, Great Clacton: St John the Baptist Church – Essex

Local information about the church of Great Clacton: St John the Baptist, Great Clacton and the parish of Great Clacton: St John the Baptist, services times

 

Great Clacton Community Association16-26 Valley Rd, Clacton-on-Sea – 01255 424664 Great Clacton Post Office17 St. Johns Rd, Clacton-on-Sea – 01255 423678
Great Clacton C Of E Junior School 11 Craigfield Avenue, Clacton-on-Sea – 01255 424906
Pork La, Great Holland, Frinton-on-Sea, CO13 0ES – 01255 677424
Great Clacton CEVA Junior School Welcome to Great Clacton CEVA Junior School (formerly Burrsville Junior). Whether you are a parent, pupil, friend or surfer, we hope that you will find
Great Clacton Conservation Area

Print This Page. Building Control · Development Control · Local Plan · Planning Enforcement. Great Clacton Conservation Area.
Great Clacton Car Park Map

Map showing the council owned car park in Great Clacton including a link to charges, access and opening times.
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of Great Clacton

Find your ancestors today with a FREE 14 day trial to Ancestry.co.uk – Click here. Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of Great Clacton
The Great Clacton Church of England Voluntary Aided Junior School

A print version is also available and is published by The Stationery Office Limited as the The Great Clacton Church of England Voluntary Aided Junior School

Please link back to www.clacton-on-sea-essex.co.uk:

Clacton-on-Sea, Essex the Sunshine Coast, has a long sandy beach, safe sea bathing, water sports, a pier with amusements and a great variety of Societies and clubs

Leave a reply