Old lifeboat Station

The Old lifeboat Station Walton Maritime Museum

Walton Old Light Boat HouseThe museum housing a collection of Walton memorabilia in a restored old lifeboat house. The most significant object is the James Stevens No 14, the oldest surviving motor lifeboat in the world. The museum explores its own and other local lifeboats stories, together with fishing and boat building customs, coastal defence, and Walton as a seaside resort. The local coastal geology and erosion of the Naze displays are popular with schools. There are various annual changing exhibitions on maritime and other themes.

[AdSense-B]

Admission Costs Adults £1, accompanied children under ten year old free. The museum is open everyday from July from 1400 to 1600. (Subject to change.)

The new coastguard station lifeboat is moored near the end of the pier and is the only lifeboat in Britain to have a permanent mooring in the open sea. When necessary, the crew cycle the length in the pier after which they use a tiny launch to access the lifeboat.

The Thames branch in the Maritime & Coastguard Agency is the new coastguard station based at Walton, monitoring ship distress calls and coordinating search and rescue operations for the whole of East Anglia. Walton and Frinton has celebrated over 120 years as a lifeboat station and its crews have been presented with 75 awards for gallantry. The lifeboat was one of 19 lifeboats that helped to evacuate the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk. Approximately 198,229 men along with 139,997 French and some Belgian troops, were evacuated from Dunkirk between 26 May and 4 June 1940; abandoning much of their equipment after disabling their vehicles and main weapons.

The Old Lifeboat House, East Terrace, Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, CO14 8PY

Leave a reply